Gerry Duffy the man who ran 32 marathons in 32 days, kindly sent me a copy of his latest book “The Goal Getter”. I was very pleased to receive it as I am a big fan of his. He gave us a wonderful talk at a City Life Galway seminar a few years ago. He is inspirational, and a really down to earth fellow as well.
I said to him that evening that the one regret I had was that I had never taken up running in my early years. “Start tomorrow” was his immediate response. Yea says I!
I had intended reading his book over Christmas but had a quick look at the first page and couldn’t put it down. It is a fabulous read and whether you are interested in running or not I would highly recommend it.
The heading of one of the chapters (chapter no 14) states,” When it comes to looking after your body; if you don’t use it you lose it”. This chapter alone makes his book worth buying.
His statement which is so true struck a chord with me, as it is one I constantly use. I don’t use it in relation to keeping a body in shape. I use it with my customers to help them avail of various tax reliefs like;
- The annual small gift exemption of €3,000 each calendar year to children or grandchildren… use it or lose it!
- If you have a niece or a nephew, do you know that before this calendar year ends, you can give them a tax free gift of €3,000….use it or lose it!
- If you are a company owner and your company tax year is the end of the year you could reduce your company tax bill by putting money into your pension fund, or the pension funds of your employees…use it or lose it!
- If you are self-employed it might be possible to put some money into your retirement fund and reduce your tax bill….Use it or lose it!
- If you are in employment and in a company pension scheme, it might be possible to make an Additional Voluntary Contribution (AVC) to reduce the personal tax you pay…use it or lose it!
Thank you Michelle at City Life for editing my blogs for me during 2015 and for getting the words and the photos in the correct order and place.
Thank you out there wherever you are, for reading my blogs. I hope that you found some of them interesting and of benefit. I wish you a Peaceful and Happy Christmas
My resolution for 2016 is a simple one. It is to keep Gerry Duffy’s wonderful book The Goal Getter close by my side to give me inspiration and a little lift whenever I need a little pick me up!
My suggestion for you is to give a copy of Gerry’s book to a friend but make sure to keep a copy for yourself!
Ted Dwyer Family Business